If a rabbit does manage to eat some onion, they may show symptoms of weakness and dizziness. Required fields are marked *. This is an attempt at a comprehensive list of known toxic and poisonous plants to rabbits with notes on its toxicity with regards to rabbits. Eating poisonous foods can be a danger to rabbits. Harcourt-Brown, Francis. However, I would avoid giving a rabbit the flowers of any plant that is poisonous for rabbits, just to be on the safe side. Wild rabbits are often known to avoid rhododendron plants, but of course domestic rabbits donât always have the best instincts for what is good for them. grows year round in USDA zones 3 through 9. Keep an eye on your other plants – the rabbits and voles have been known to … 3. What Makes Hydrangeas Poisonous to Pets? For this reason, it is best to keep any marijuana away from rabbits and avoid smoking in the same room as them. The good news is that most rabbits, even domestic rabbits, will instinctively avoid onion plants because of their strong smell. Itâs still best to avoid giving your rabbit access to these plants to prevent any potential for harm. Some of the flowers rabbits should never eat include: Azaleas; Bluebells; Buttercups; Carnations; Chrysanthemums; Daffodils; Foxgloves; Geraniums; Hydrangeas; Irises; Lilies; Poppies; Rhododendrons; Tulips If you cannot get ahold of your vet, you can also call the ASPCA poison control emergency number: (888) 426-4435 (or visit their website for more information). Although the plant is technically a cyanogen, cyanide intoxication has not been reported even in livestock ingesting large amounts (though livestock usually avoid eating hydrangea). The Invincibelle™ Spirit Mountain Hydrangea is the first-ever pink-flowered 'Annabelle' hydrangea. Not surprisingly, deer tend to stay away from poisonous plants. Hemlock plants are poisonous for rabbits. The flowers of mum plants do not contain this toxicity. This applies to all parts of the plant, including the flowers, leaves, stems, and roots. The leaves and stems contain solanines and are poisonous to rabbits in large quantities. Hemlock is poisonous to many other animals as well (including humans), so itâs best to keep it far away from all of our mouths. Yew is very dangerous and contains chemicals that can cause sudden death in rabbits. Rabbits dine out all year. The roots of a kaffir lily are toxic, while lily of the valley, may lily, and calla lily plants are highly toxic and can cause severe gastrointestinal complications. Lilies. Hydrangea is not cardiotoxic. Their symptoms include diarrhea, lack of energy, dehydration, and mouth irritation and redness. The entire plant is toxic to rabbits and should be avoided. The flowers, leaves, and stems of these plants are toxic for rabbits and should be avoided, including the foliage of a lily of the valley bush. link to Why Do Rabbits Breathe Fast and When is it Dangerous? Rabbits and Deer Won’t Eat These Flowers, Shrubs, Herbs, and Trees. It is another plant that contains alkaloid compounds that are dangerous when consumed in large quantities. The plant juice of other species of iris may cause some irritation, but they are unlikely to cause a severe toxic reaction. As the saying goes, your best defense is a strong offense. Tomato plants are also related to nightshade, and many parts of them are toxic to rabbits. The symptoms include drooling, dilated pupils, seizures, and coma. Celery-leaved buttercups, however, produces a juice that is highly toxic to rabbits. Marigolds (Calendula officinalis) are annuals in all U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones. This includes plants such as daffodils, tulips, bluebells, orchids, and many more. This is true of European plants that are native to a domestic rabbitâs original habitat and of many, many other plants from around the world. Itâs always best to call anyway because some substances are more poisonous than others and may require immediate medical intervention. Deer eat the lilies and take a few flowers off the hydrangea. Some are toxic cause they contain poisonous elements, whilst others are not poisonous but cause gases. She helps to socialize the rabbits and educate volunteers on the care and behavior of these small mammals. The rabbit's intestinal tract is unable to remove these gases through flatulence. Even a dried poppy plant can be highly poisonous to a rabbit. You can tell when rabbits, not deer, have been chewing on your plants because rabbits make clean, 45-degree cuts in young stems and can reach only approximately 3 feet high.